Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Clueless about this post. Nothing much about my life. Recently, my curiosity led me to know something which I did not know of. Sometimes I would just browse thru other ppl's blogs thru the links the host puts there. So, I came upon this blog and discovered something which has kept me thinking for some time.

I was wondering, during the olden days, the elderly hoped that their children would get married early and bear them some grandchildren to carry on the family's name. But education is compulsory now, people now focus on their studies, hopefully to further their studies and get them a better paying job. But one thing never really change, although it decreased, I think. Getting pregnant at young age. If this happened 50 years ago, I think the parents were more than happy to have the daughter married off. But now, I think it would bring disgrace to the family at a certain point.

"My daughter is well taught, how can she commit such a terrible mistake? She has a bright future ahead of her, I think this will destroy her path! It must have been the boy who has influenced her! It must be!!"

"I told him/her not to be intimate! And this is what they get for not listening to me! They asked for it! See what happens now! Having you as a child is disgrace to our ancestors and relatives! How am I to tell them? Where am I to hide my face?"

"Why can't you be smarter? You already know you are so big, why can't you think better?"

Probably there are still many parents thinking this way. Education might had made us wiser, but not necessarily rational. I'm obviously stating the obvious, am I not? The point I'm trying to make is, no matter how smart we are, we are only human. We have feelings. We love, we hate, we cry, we laugh. We want to love, and to be loved. We often make remarks like saying "Wah wah, xxx's sister/brother is only 17, already getting ready to get married. So young already get pregnant." The two must have went through a lot of scolding, worries and even feeling despair. And some support.

Is it necessarily people from the olden days are much more mature than of today's people the same age? Probably. But why people now tend to marry later? They loved their careers more? Can't study while being married in the mean time? Maybe they are just destined to be that way. Why can't people be more happy about it the minute they know instead of pointing fingers and play the blaming game before finally deciding to settle down and get married? Why can't people sometimes be like the olden days. People need to relax, let down their hair, have some fun. Bear the consequences for our actions. Some people grow from it, some never learn from experience.

A same thing can happen, but we get different actions from different time.

What will become of us 10, 15 years later? Probably some of us are not married yet, married without kids, married and have dozen of kids. What will we seek in our children? Are we to be like our parents? Make decisions for them education wise (til University level) or let them choose what they wanna be with us, being the parents, supporting them all the way? Are we going to interfere their choices of studies? Today we might say NO, but who knows later we are the ones to budge in like some of our parents did to us? It might help them, it might kill them.

Oh sigh. Life is nothing more than repeating history. The same trouble will always come back to us, to our next generations, it never seemed to end.

No comments: